Are you looking for the best table saw for your DIY projects? A table saw can be quite handy for wood working tasks. It has a rotary saw blade, powered by an electric motor and has a supporting table.
A table saw works easily with different boards and makes quick and effective lumber cuts. The tool is capable of cutting large boards to manageable sizes. Wood can be cut to a specific length or width, but this style of saw is best at making long, board-style cuts.
Before buying a table saw, you must consider various factors like its speed, motor power, safety features and blade size. To help you out, here are five best table saws for your home workshop.
“Hot Dog Test” Skin Detection
In the mid-2000s a technology was developed that instantly stops a table saw blade if it comes into contact with skin. This was an important development because table saw are the cause of many serious accidents every year and this technology could prevent some of those accident from being as bad as they otherwise would be.
This tech has mainly been licensed and used by table saw brand SawStop, but it was also sold in the Bosch Reaxx line, particularly in the Bosch Reaxx table saw, GTS1041A and the GTS1041A-09 table saw with. Bosch said they developed the tech independent of SawStop’s innovation, but a lawsuit was brought between the two and the Bosch Reaxx line is not currently being sold.
The Bosch saw-stopping system uses a cartridge that pops out and stops the blade where SawStop has an aluminum bar that is inserted to stop it.
Dewalt 10-Inch Table Saw
The Dewalt DWE7491RS is a 10-inch foldable job-site style table saw with sturdy table saw and that is perfect for any projects. It comes with a three-year limited manufacturer warranty.
- 110 pounds. It comes with a rolling stand making it easier to transport.
- Rack & pinion telescoping fence system. The fence adjustment of DWE7491RS is solid.
- Features a 15-amp motor with 4800 RPM operation.
- 32.5-inch rip capacity that is suitable for cutting large materials.
- Comes with a 2-inch dust collection port that keeps the workspace clean.
- Good for Dadoing, the saw accepts Dado blade sets.
Dewalt 8.5-inch Table Saw
The DWE7485 is a smaller table saw from Dewalt. It uses a sturdy table-top design saw (as opposed to using a foldable design) and is perfect for home use and smaller projects. It comes with a three-year warranty.
- Powerful with 15-amp, 5800 RPM motor
- Rack and Pinion telescoping fence rails for fence adjustments
- Light weight and portable, weighs only 46 pounds
- Good for beginners, has safety features such as non-through cut riving knife, anti-kickback pawls. It also comes equipped with blade change wrenches, miter gauge and push stick.
- Rip capacity is good- 24.5 inches and suitable for making variety of cuts.
Bosch 4100-09 Table Saw
Bosch 4100-09 is a portable saw, easy to assemble and smooth to operate. It comes with a one-year warranty.
- Comes with a 15 Amp saw and speed 3650 RPM. The 4 HP power rating is great for sharp, smooth cuts.
- Has a SquareLock rip fence to secure it in desired position
- High rip capacity almost 30-inch rip.
- Portable, easy to assemble with its GTA47W gravity rise wheeled stand.
- Safety features like smart guard system – riving knife and anti-kick-back protection
- Extra features like soft-start circuitry to manage tripping, constant response circuitry to manage speeds.
SawStop Jobsite Saw Pro
If you want skin-detection technology and you don’t need a permanent placement saw, then the Jobsite Saw Pro is the main game in town. It’ll cost you about 2x the price of a standard table saw, but it’ll be worth it if something goes wrong.
- 10-inch blade with high/low fence system
- 15-amp power draw
- Dimensions without the cart: 32 w x 29 d x 16 h inches
- Total weight: 137 pounds with cart
The SawStop table saw is an excellent tool that comes with an extra safety feature: the saw immediately stops spinning its blade when it comes into contact with skin! This is the full-size, pro-level version that is meant only for the most serious of home stops.
- Well-built table saw with great fit and finish, comes with detailed instructions and color-coded parts for easy set up.
- Comes with an advanced safety system, blade stops in less than 5 milliseconds. A word of caution though. Damped wood can trigger its safety feature.
- Reliable 52-inch fence, allows for effective cutting. 3 HP motor is adequate and can effectively cut hard wood.
- Comes with a dust collection blade guard that allows for efficient dust collection.
Which tables saw stop when the blade touches skin?
The main brands that use a saw-stopping skin contact (sometimes known as “skin detection”) safety feature are SawStop and Bosch. Some models that you might see with this feature are the Bosch ReaXX 1041A table saw and the SawStop JSS-MCA job-site saw. The ReaXX line is not currently for sale because of a lawsuit with SawStop.