An electric can opener is a simple tool with a simple purpose: open your cans quickly, easily, reliably, and safely. Unfortunately not all can openers hit that mark. The days of buying a product once and owning it for 20 years is far behind us, so choosing the right one is more important than ever. For this article, we have assembled a collection of the best electric can openers for sale today.
To be clear, some people call these “automatic can openers” which is accurate, but most people call them electric, so we’ll stick with that. The point is, they are the same thing!
The first decision you need to make is the kind of can opener you want. The normal electric can opener is a counter-top version but handheld ones are sold as well. The handheld kind is smaller and won’t take up valuable counter-top space, but they can be more difficult to use if you have issues with your hands. That said, handheld ones are not limited by the height of the can like a counter-top, so they have that going for them. The last trade-off is that handheld openers need batteries to operate, which is both annoying and, in the long run, expensive.
Here are some of the top electric can openers for sale. They will save you time and make canned for just a bit more enjoyable.
The Cuisinart Deluxe Electric Can Opener is one of the top picks in the category. It has a simple design than can be operated with just one finger to push down an activation lever and clean styling.
- It uses Cuisinart’s Power Cut blade
- Works with any standard sized can
- Magnetic lid holder does the work for you
- Easy to clean design
- Wide base for stability
The Hamilton Beach Classic Chrome has a curvy design that is the perfect companion to your SodaStream. It has a chromed out upper for good looks and a hidden knife sharpener on the back!
- Uses SureCut patented technology for reliable cutting
- Removable cutting unit for easy cleaning
- Has a built-in knife sharpener with auto shutoff
- Extra-tall for big cans! It’s 10.24 inches in height
The Smooth Touch can opener is also from Hamilton Beach, but this model is higher end, with a premium price tag. This is the best designed unit in this post with some nice upgrades compared to the rest.
- Side-cutting system leaves a smooth, safe edge
- Easy-touch level is simple and handsome
- Free kitchen shears are included and given a storage spot on the back
- 1-year warranty
- Side cuts mean the blade doesn’t touch your food and reduces mess
Handheld can opener with a proven track record and the best ratings online. The one-button start is ideal for people with grip and hand problems.
- One-touch start is as simple as it gets
- Works on any can height or width
- Side cuts for safe edges
- 2-year warranty
- Uses common AA batteries (not included!)
The Proctor Silex Plus is the can opener that most reminds us of the hefty, overbuilt appliances of yesterday. It’s big, simple, and comes from a brand you know.
- Extra tall for big cans
- Cutting parts remove for cleaning
- White design matches modern kitchens
- Includes a knife sharpener
- Cord storage for clean appearance
- 2.2 pound weight means quality and stability
This list should get you on your way to finding the right electric can opener for your and your home. Let us know if we missed anything that is worth recommending!