Sleep has become a luxury in this fast world as we work on and off through all points of the day or night. We all want a basic assurance to sleep peacefully whenever we choose to do so, even if that isn’t at exactly at 10pm on the dot (like you promised yourself).
Blackout curtains go a long way to assure an adequate sleep and have been a great investment for many people.
Blackout curtains aren’t necessarily black, in fact most aren’t, but dark curtains do work better. They are curtains — not blinds — that make your room as dark as possible. It may not be possible to get a room to be completely black during daylight hours, but you can definitely get it pretty dark.
Blackout Curtain Pros and Cons
Figuring out if blackout window dressing is worth the trouble? Here are the reasons why you want them…
- Best possible light blocking of any window dressing, short of shutters
- Keeps the room warm in the winter and cool in the summer
- Affordable option for a window accessory
- Easy to install with a carpenter or handyman
- Excellent for sound dampening
There are downsides to blackout curtains as well, these include…
- Bulky design that takes up a lot of room near the window
- Large and difficult to clean at home
- Expensive to have professionally cleaned
- Collects a lot of dust
- Heavy feeling to them that might not match your room decor
- Requires curtain rod to be installed above the window
Blackout Curtain Pricing
As with anything, you can spend a whole lot or a very little on blackout curtains. After owning this type of curtain for some years, I have to saw it’s not an area where I see the value in spending a lot of money.
High-end ($100+/pair) blackout curtains just don’t have the bang-for-the-buck of the more affordable options and don’t seem like a wise investment to me as you need to follow-up that purchase by spending a fortunate cleaning them. It’s the gift that keeps on taking. You are better off spending less, getting the same level of light blocking, and not having to worry about them.
We’ve been using the Restoration Hardware Baby collection Cotton Canvas Drapery blackout curtains for some time now. They are certainly a nice fabric and they have held up for over 5 years without cracking, ripping, or breaking down, but they are more or less the same cotton material with polyester blackout lining of any blackout curtain. Yes, many cheaper options will drop the cotton outer material but this certainly isn’t necessary.
Ikea Marjun Blackout Curtains
The Ikea Marjun will cost a bit more than the ultra-budget options below, but they come from a name that you know and almost certainly trust.
For me blackout curtains are the perfect Ikea buy: something that I want to perform well and last a long time, but that I won’t want to spend a ton of money on. Plus I want to know it’s made with safe materials, which is an area where Ikea has a great track record, especially with fabrics.
- 100% polyester
- Machine washable at home
- Safe for ironing
- 57″ x 98″ (39 square feet)
AmazonBasics Room Darkening Blackout Curtains
AmazonBasics doesn’t make the fanciest things, but their products are generally reliable purchases and the simply the product, the best they are. Well, there isn’t any product that’s much simpler than blackout curtains, so you can get these are pretty solid.
AmazonBasics blackout curtains have a middle of the pack price with top-notch reviews and middle of the road styling.
- Rod Pocket topper
- Includes 2 ties for holding it open
Popular Affordable Blackout Curtains
Nicetown Room Darkening Shades
With these best-selling curtains a triple weave design is used to interweave the microfiber curtains to black out any light. The primary material is aided by layers of back yarn and to create the most light blocking possible.
- Polyester fabric of 250GSM is used to make the material ultimately soft
- Double panel protection to keep out any light that is not required
- The thick curtains block up to 99% of UV rays as they are large in width and length.
- The package contains two tie-backs accompanied by eight grommets
Rose Home Fashion Thermal Insulated Blackout Shades
The ultimate Blackout Curtains banish noise and light and energy-efficient for a light sleeper
- Heavy blackout curtains and multi-layered curtails the light and noise from entering the room
- The material is 100% polyester and well suited to a nice curtain rod, be it decorative or standard.
- Machine washable
H. Versailtex Blackout Room Darkening Shades
You might not have hard of the company before, but H. Versailtex blackout shades are some of the best sellers on Amazon right now.
This drapery solution for you to sleep with less disturbance and prevent sunlight from spoiling TV watching ranging from 50% to 100%.
- Tri-layer weaving creates a thermal effect that acts as a defense against heat or cold
- Comes free of chemicals and formaldehyde, thus promoting the greenhouse effect and health
- Ensures a blackout which is natural, yet provides an aesthetic look to the room
- Sold in white as well as man other colors
Wontex Blackout Curtains
The Wontex blackout curtains come with metal grommets that can fit a curtain rod, either decorative or standard. Broad and lengthy, they sport the same color in both front and rear.
- The three layers weave insulates your room against heat and cold temperature
- Touch is silken with extreme softness due to 100 % polyester fabric
- The natural light blockage is 90 %, and the artificial external light blockage is 100%
- It is environment friendly, and thus suitable for health and furniture alike.
Pony Dance Bedroom Blackout Curtains
These are definitely the blackout shades with the best name. Pony Dance blackout shades not only sound great,
The multi-functional design and quality of these blackout curtains blocks noise and sunlight. It also keeps the room cool leading to saving of artificial cooling or heating and regulating indoor temperature.
- Blocks 85-95% of light from outside
- An innovative fabric created from 230 GSM of polyester fabric
- The triple weave construction has no inner liner and appears the same be it front or back, lending it an aesthetic look.
- Gives various options of styling with a choice between rod pocket, back loops, and clip rings.
- No pure white option available. The closest is light grey
Blackout curtain may be a simple product, but serves us in many ways which we hardly realize. In fact, it is essential to have it at home than be without one.